Vegan and vegetarian diets are not common in Croatia and even finding soy products might be difficult.
Local “Unhealthy” Foods
- Restani krumpir (fried potato with onion)
- Palacinke (crepes with sweet filling)
- Fritule (deep fried dough)
Local “Healthy” Foods
- Grah (bean stew)
- Sataras (sliced and stewed summer vegetables)
- Goulash (traditional stew, often with bacon)
- Zganci (cornmeal dish similar to polenta)
Nut Allergy Alert
The dessert item Baklava contains nuts.
Availability of Specialty Foods
- Available at most large stores
- Available at specialty stores
- Not readily available
Kosher and Halal Foods
Nutritional Information on Food
All packaged foods are required to include nutrition information, and it is easy to understand.
Available in pharmacies only, but no prescription is needed.
Medical Professionals Who Aid in Nutrition
Internal Medicine Specialists and Nurses assist with nutrition.
Country-wide Obesity Rate17%