When you translate Baba Ghanoush from Arabic, it literally means “Spoiled Father.” Whomever you make this creamy delicious dip for will certainly feel spoiled; it’s a healthy dish that tastes like a treat. Naturally low in calories, eggplant contains numerous beneficial phytonutrients and vitamins A, B, and C, and potassium and magnesium, working to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and protect against cancer. Eggplant is also a great source of fiber, keeping digestion regular, and blood sugar stable. Make this recipe for a quick and delicious start to any meal, and keep it on hand in your fridge for a healthy and delicious snack anytime of the day.
This recipe makes approximately 2 cups.
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 medium eggplants, roasted
- 1/3 cup light tahini
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, peeled (roast with the eggplant)
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, pomegranate seeds, and extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Pita bread and vegetables, to serve
- Scoop the flesh out of the roasted eggplants, and discard the peel.
- In a large bowl, use a fork mash together the eggplant, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper flaked, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once you’ve achieved your desired consistency, season to taste with more salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, or lemon juice.
- To serve, drizzle over some olive oil, sprinkle over some fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds, and serve with warm pita bread and vegetables.